Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Slow week, and nothing to do with restoring

Well I sat up Friday night watching Saving Private Ryan until after 3 am. Needless to say I was worthless Saturday, all day. I don't know why I watch that movie, totally messes me up especially the end when Ryan is at the cemetery with his family. Tough movie. It still amazes me the sacrifice those men made and never thought a second about giving their lives for others. Before I leave this world I will stand on the Normandy coast if for anything just to say I was there to honor those men, from all sides that fought.
Two years ago I went to Norman Oklahoma to participate in a paintball scenario game that lasts a week and is a recreation of the D-Day Normandy beach landings and other skirmishes that happened the first few days after the landings. There were about 6000 participants and over 10,000 people total with families and others that come to just watch.
There owner of the 1000 acre park does his level best to make the entire place as close to Normandy as one can and still be in Oklahoma. He has created Pegasus bridge, Omaha Beach, Sainte-Mère-Église (there is even the church recreated in memory of the paratroopers that landed and John Steele that became snagged on the steeple) other smaller skirmishes that contributed to the overall operation and success of the landings.
Every unit, allied and axis was represented. There were players from the UK, France, Canada, Australia, and a few other places I might be missing. The whole "game" was very realistic and we even had a few night games thrown in for good measure complete with fireworks flying overhead, along with mortars blasting your eardrums as they exploded overhead.
The Germans won that year. I have often thought what the world would be like if the Germans truly did push the allies back and off the French coast like they did during the battle of Dunkirk.
I stayed the whole week and had a blast, every welt I earned from an allied paintball that hit me was well worth the total experience.
The whole event keeps players mindfull of why they are there and what they are playing for, to honor those that died and participated in D-Day.

Back to Saturday, I started to drag everything out to begin working on the crown and threw in the towel after a few minutes. I ended up cleaning all the windows instead, and was able to muster the motivation and finish grouting the back steps. Both projects turned out good. Clean windows and nicely grouted steps.

No comments: